Which whiskey to use?

I need some help and suggestions with a Christmas gift idea, and I am in over my head a bit. On a whim, I decided I would make an infused whiskey, and I already picked up the ingredients for the infusion based on the flavor profile I was wanting to make and would figure out the details later. I have Lapsang souchong loose leaf "tea", vanilla beans and a smoky toasted marshmallow simple syrup. I was wanting to pair this with a whiskey, my goal being a smoky, slightly sweet, warm campfire flavor. I should mention that I do not particularly like whiskey myself, so I don't know much about it, and I do not have much experience making mixed drinks in general. (For full disclosure, I should tell you that my great Halloween cocktail idea was mixing midori, blue curacao, and limoncello. The liquor store was bare and I came up with it on the fly. Even the guy in the store behind me asked what in the world was I making, and I told him that I have no idea. That should have been my clue. The result was a sickly sweet, undrinkable abomination.) So my first instinct was to infuse the tea and vanilla beans in scotch, which I have never tasted, based on reading that it has a smoky flavor. Some more reading has suggested that scotch does not mix with vanilla, and Is quite particular on what you can mix with it. So now I'm thinking bourbon. I come to this subreddit to ask, would a scotch work, or would bourbon be better to give me the smoky, warm campfire result I am looking for? Also brand suggestions are helpful, something in the $50 range as an upper limit. Also, do you have suggestions on how long to infuse these ingredients, and lastly, I have been debating on the idea of using a dash of maine pine bitters to really kind of round out the campfire flavor. I hope someone here can help share some knowledge, I love to cook and experiment with flavors, but really, anything alcohol based is just out of my league. Thanks so much for your time and help!

submitted by /u/Starseek7
[link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrot Muffins - A Moist & Flavorful Snack!

Nachos Recipe (Loaded & Cheesy!)

Cheers to the End of Dry January with These 20+ Mocktails!